How flexible thinking and reflecting on choices can help
Stuff happens. Things change. It’s a part of life, which is why it’s important that you have flexible and adaptable plans for your future.
- You may change your mind about what you want for your future
- Your personal situation may change
- New work and learning opportunities may arise. For instance:
- You may discover a new course that appeals to you
- You may discover an interesting career option you have never thought of before
- You may receive an unexpected traineeship offer
- You may need to learn a new skill for your job.
Sometimes things don’t work out as planned, and that’s OK:
- You may not pass a prerequisite subject for your preferred university course.
- You may miss out on a job offer after an interview for your dream job.
- As happened to many with COVID-19, job prospects in your preferred career field may change. Which means you might need to put your dream job on hold for a bit.
In situations like these, it’s a good idea to reflect on your career and learning goals and plans. Be flexible and make changes, even if it’s only in the short term. More often than not, this will involve revisiting your options.